License Requirements

Zoning, Permits & Employees

Secure a zoning license / certificate of occupancy from the Jeffersontown Department of Permitting and Enforcement.

  • Ensure the location is properly zoned and otherwise approved for the intended use.
  • Secure permits for any remodeling or new construction.
  • Secure sign permits for any exterior signage with the Jeffersontown Code Enforcement Department

If you have employees:

  • Purchase workers compensation insurance from an independent insurance agent.
  • Register with the Kentucky Department for Employment Services.
  • Report the name and social security number (SSN) of each new hire to the Kentucky New Hire Reporting Center. For more information call (800) 817-2262.

Special Licenses

Check with the Business Information Clearinghouse by calling (800) 626-2250 and your local city and county clerks to determine if any special licenses are required for your business. A great resource is the One Stop Business Licensing Program. Search the business name and filing database. Download business filing forms and applications at the Kentucky Secretary of State website.

Bank Accounts & Insurance

Establish a business checking account and consider a business savings account.

Secure liability insurance and other coverage appropriate for your business. 


Other useful resources include: