City Rights & Requirements

Denied Access

The City of Jeffersontown may deny access to a person who has been convicted of an indictable offense in Kentucky, any other state, or the United States, and who is seeking government records containing personal information pertaining to the person’s victim or the victim’s family.

By law, a city clerk / treasurer must notify you that it grants or denies a request for access to government records within five business days after the City of Jeffersontown receives the request, provided that the record is currently available and not in storage. If the record request is not currently available or is in storage the city clerk / treasurer will advise you within five business days when the record can be made available and the estimated cost.

You may be denied access to a government record if your request would substantially disrupt agency operations and the city clerk / treasurer is unable to reach a reasonable solution with you.

Written Notice

If the City of Jeffersontown is unable to comply with your request for access to a government record, the city clerk / treasurer will indicate the reasons for denial and send you a signed and dated copy.

File a Complaint

If your request for access to the City of Jeffersontown record has been denied or unfilled within the time permitted, you have a right to challenge the decision by the City of Jeffersontown to deny access. At your option, you may file a complaint in writing with the Office of the Attorney General for the Commonwealth of Kentucky. You may contact the attorney general by calling (502) 696-5300, visiting, or writing:
Office of Attorney General
700 Capitol Ave.
Suite 18
Frankfort, KY 40601