Click to Home
Go To Search

Sunshine Lodge
In 1946, County Welfare Director, W.M. Pennycook, and the County Judge came up with a plan -- the first to be adopted in the nation -- where children 12 years and under, who were from broken families and were temporarily homeless, would be sent to "Sunshine Lodge" for several days or several weeks, at the most, instead of to private homes or an institution where they would normally have been placed. There they would be tenderly and sympathetically cared for until definite arrangements could be made for their care. 
 Newspaper c1946  Sunshine Lodge Dedication
A handsome brick building on 15 acres of what was originally the Jefferson County Poor Farm was completely renovated and furnished for the children. The bright, cheery building was capable of housing 30 children and a supervisory staff, and a specially devised playground was built on the expansive grounds. Sunshine Lodge was a cooperative effort, utilizing the contributions of all agencies interested in child welfare, including fraternal and civic organizations as well as individuals.
 Sunshine Lodge Front  Sunshine Lodge Back
Sunshine Lodge was dedicated on June 16, 1946, and local clubs and organizations continued to make sure the children had whatever they needed for their comfort. On its 25th anniversary in 1971, County Judge Todd Hollenbach announced that Sunshine Lodge would close its doors, and the new Home of the Innocents on East Chestnut Street in Louisville would take its place. In 1976, the Jeffersontown Police Department moved into the red brick building on Bluebird Lane, and in 1998, it was decided to raze the building so that a new gymnasium could be erected in its place.
 Superintendent Rachel Vance  Nurse Mary Elizabeth Holloway

10416 Watterson Trail   |   Jeffersontown, KY 40299   |   Ph: (502) 267-8333   |   Fx: (502) 267-0547
10416 Watterson Trail   |   Jeffersontown, KY 40299   |   Ph: (502) 267-8333   |   Fx: (502) 267-0547