Click to Home
Go To Search
HomeEmailPrint
FacebookTwitter

Jeffersontown School
No one is certain when the first school in Jeffersontown was built or exactly where it was located, although it was believed to be at the foot of College Drive. The road's original name, Water Street, may hold a clue, as it was said that the school was in a low-lying area prone to swampy conditions. At any rate, by the early 1900s, the 2-room school was in a dilapidated state, and, health hazards aside, the area children were not much on attending it.

 Jeffersontown School c. 1892  E. R. Sprowl

In 1910, E.R. Sprowl offered to donate acreage through the Jefferson Heights Land Company so that a new, larger school could be built if the residents of Jeffersontown were willing to pitch in as well. Eventually the town agreed to invest in a new school, and in 1914 it opened at the corner of Maple Road and Galene Drive. The 4-room school housed grades 1-8, although many students continued there through the 10th grade. Most high school aged students, however, attended Male or Louisville Girls School.

 Jeffersontown School

In 1925, seventeen students enrolled in what became Jeffersontown School's first complete 4-year program. Soon the roof was raised to create a second story to the building, but the school eventually had far more students than it could handle. The last high school class graduated that building in 1950, and it reverted to a grade school until was razed in 1978, making way for Tully Elementary School to replace it.

 Jeffersontown School  Jeffersontown High First Graduate Class 1926

10416 Watterson Trail   |   Jeffersontown, KY 40299   |   Ph: (502) 267-8333   |   Fx: (502) 267-0547
10416 Watterson Trail   |   Jeffersontown, KY 40299   |   Ph: (502) 267-8333   |   Fx: (502) 267-0547