Go To Search

Button Batteries Safety
Facts, Figures & General Information
Button Batteries
Electronic devices are an integral part of our lives. However, the button batteries many of these devices use are dangerous to our children and pets. According to Safe Kids USA, there were more than 3400 cases of children swallowing button batteries reported in 2010 alone: 19 children of these children suffered life-threatening or debilitating injuries and others lost their lives.

Here are some other facts reported by Safe Kids USA:
  • The coin-sized batteries children swallow come from many devices, most often mini-remote controls. Other places you may find them include:
    • singing greeting cards
    • watches
    • bathroom scales
    • flameless candles
  • Once a coin-sized lithium battery has been swallowed, it takes as little as two hours to cause severe burns.
  • Once burning begins, damage can continue even after the battery is removed.
  • Children can still breathe with a coin lithium battery in their throat. It may not be obvious at first something is wrong. However, button batteries can become lodged in the throat, burning the esophagus.
  • Repairing the damage is painful and can require multiple surgeries.

Safety Tips (a partial list)
Poison Help Hotline
Safe Kids USA provides these top tips for battery safety:
  • Search your home – and any other place your children go – for gadgets containing coin lithium batteries.
  • Secure coin lithium battery-controlled devices out of sight and reach of children. Keep loose batteries locked away.
  • Share this life-saving information with caregivers, friends, family members and sitters.
  • If your child does swallow a battery, follow these steps:
    • Go to the emergency room immediately. If possible, provide the medical team with the battery’s identification number.
    • Do not let the child eat or drink until a chest X-ray can determine if a battery is present.
    • Do NOT induce vomiting.
    • For additional treatment information, call the National Battery Ingestion Hotline: (202) 625-3333. Calls are answered 24/7/365.

Safe Kids USA

10416 Watterson Trail   |   Jeffersontown, KY 40299   |   Ph: (502) 267-8333   |   Fx: (502) 267-0547
10416 Watterson Trail   |   Jeffersontown, KY 40299   |   Ph: (502) 267-8333   |   Fx: (502) 267-0547