Local residents tend to refer to the two-story house on Watterson Trail, just down from City Hall, as the Seaton House, after Dr. John S. Seaton, who enlarged the original log structure in the 1840s, making it basically the building we see today. But the house has a much older history, dating back to 1803, when Valentine Conrad purchased lots 59 & 60 on the town square to build his home and the kiln for his red ware pottery business.
Red ware is an old, rather soft, form of pottery that was supplanted by stoneware by the mid-19th century. The mere fact that red ware is found on the site dates it as being early. Valentine Conrad was a German Lutheran, and his pottery style appears to be Moravian. Conrad's pottery is not found only in Jeffersontown, however; it has been found all over Jefferson County, and it is known to have been shipped as far south as New Orleans. Valentine Conrad made a good living for himself with his pottery, eventually buying more town lots, and upon retirement, moving to what is known as the Conrad-Dravo House on Six Mile Lane to become a gentleman farmer, and letting William Conrad (either his son or a brother) take over the pottery business, which continued until 1837, when Valentine's son, William, moved to Westwood Farms, right across the street from his father.